Monday, July 25, 2011

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale...

...a tale of a fateful trip...or several.

Tonight, I visited the Discover Sea Shipwreck Museum located on the top floor of Sea Shell City in Fenwick Island, Delaware.  It bills itself as Delmarva's premiere maritime museum.  Admission is free.  The museum isn't very big, but its collection is interesting.  I've been through at least once (but I think twice) before, but this time I took my camera and my time. 

The museum houses a large collection of shipwreck and recovered artifacts, complete with the stories of some of the shipwrecks.  One of the most interesting of these shipwreck was the China Wreck. 






They have a large exhibit of rum and ale bottles as well as jars that have been recovered from shipwrecks all along the east coast.





They have tons of coins and medallions that have been recovered over the years.





Two final treasures of interest (to me, at least) were an amethyst necklace and a dagger.



Lastly, the museum has a map of the east coast with pins that indicate shipwrecks off the coast.  In the picture below, the two green lights are Fenwick Island, DE (lower light) and Cape May, NJ (upper light).  Note all of the pins in the area!



Being a nerd, I read most of the signs and placards, so it took me about 30 minutes to tour the museum.  It was a good way to kill some time this evening prior to dinner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment