Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Bird Central Station

Saturday morning, I refilled my backyard bird feeder; I put two new suet cakes on the ends and filled the center with mixed bird seed. Since then, the bird feeder has been "Bird Central Station!" I have seen multiple Blue Jays, a Tufted Titmouse, a Red-Bellied Woodpecker, a Hairy Woodpecker, a male Northern Cardinal, a male Brown-Headed Cowbird, several Common Grackles, and a Mourning Dove. It's been crazy-busy at the feeder!


I also spent some time in my butterfly/hummingbird garden Saturday morning doing a little weeding. Well, OK...it was a lot of weeding! But in the course of my weeding, I had two butterfly visitors! The first butterfly was a Question Mark Butterfly; the second was a Red Admiral Butterfly. I was really excited because the only thing blooming in the butterfly/hummingbird garden right now is my Mountain Bluet. 

Question Mark Butterfly

Red Admiral Butterfly
I'm really excited that the plants in my butterfly/hummingbird garden are doing as well as they are. Nearly everything is spreading and the garden is really filling out nicely. If butterflies are already flocking to it (and only one of the flowers is in bloom), I anticipate it will be teeming with butterflies when everything is bloomed out later this summer! Now I just need to mix up some nectar for hummingbirds to start drawing them in, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment