Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Shubunkins from Sheboygan who sing Shipoopi

OK, not really...but I thought a catchy title might draw in a few extra readers today!

Over the weekend, we went to Martin Garden Center in Tyrone, PA to get the vegetable plants for our garden (that's another post coming later this week).  While we were there, we decided to check out their selection of pond fish, snails, and tadpoles.  As some of you may know - if we're friends on Facebook - we had a total fish kill over the winter.  (Sad panda.)  We needed to get some fish in the pond, STAT!

MGC carries Koi, as well as "regular goldfish" and Shubunkin goldfish.  After weighing our options and the potential cash outlay, we decided to get four Shubunkin goldfish and two tadpoles.  The Shubunkins were $5.95 each, compared to $9.95 and $17.95 for small and large Koi.  I got to play fish wrangler with the net, scooping up the fish I wanted (I tried to pick four that I could tell apart so I could name them), while the girl from the garden center plucked them from the net and bagged them.  

I also snagged two tadpoles ($1.95 each) and we bought them, too.  One of them already has tiny little legs sprouting on his hind quarters.  Like every other tadpole we've ever bought for the pond, we'll never see them again until they become frogs.  And then maybe, maybe, they'll grace us with their presence from time to time.  Oh, how I do miss Frederick Von Hoppenstance; he was quite the "social" green frog. 

Anyway, back to the Shubunkins...I named them on the way home.  We have Garfield, Odie, Sunny, and Cher.  Yes, I know it should be "Sonny," but I originally named "Sunny" that because of his/her orange face.  I said, "I'll name this one 'Sunny' and I'll name this one..." and Chris responded, "Cher?"  And it stuck.  

I neglected to take pictures of them before I put them into the pond and last night, try as I might, I could not get a good picture of them in their new home.  You'll just have to take my word for it in this picture-free post!  

Finally, since I alluded to both of them in the title, if you're dying to know more about Sheboygan, click here.  And if you like the song Shipoopi and Fox's Family Guy, well...this YouTube clip should entertain you!  (It's not the greatest quality, but it's the only one with the actual video from the show.)

No comments:

Post a Comment