Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Four berries for breakfast...

Lookie here at what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow!


Chris picked these this afternoon.  They look and smell delicious.  I can't wait to enjoy them as part of my breakfast tomorrow morning.

While I was in Baltimore over the weekend, I did get the chance to stop at Valley View Farms in Hunt Valley, MD to look for a zucchini plant...and a few other things:

Zucchini - only two plants this year will mean having a manageable harvest...presumably.  One of my favorite things to make with zucchini besides zucchini bread is "zucchini oven chips."  These little gems are thin slices of zucchini dipped in skim milk and then a mix of bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and pepper and then baked until they are crispy like, well...chips!

Cucumbers - same with the zucchini, just two plants to keep the crop manageable.  My parents reminded me of a simple salad of cucumbers, onion, vinegar, and sugar over the weekend...I can't wait to make this with my homegrown cukes!


Lemon Thyme - I like fresh thyme and this lemon variety just sounded good!


Mint - for mojitos, natch!  And iced tea.  But mostly mojitos.  ;)  And check out the variety...pineapple!!!  I may or may not have said, outloud at Valley View, "Hells yeah, pineapple mint!"


Chives - they're a perennial and I actually really like the flowers on chive plants.  I will use these from time to time for cooking...definitely for baked potatoes with sour cream!  


Gerbera Daisies - OK, these obviously aren't going in the vegetable garden, but I wanted to showcase them since my mom bought them for me.  I *love* Gerbera daisies; they are my absolute favorite flowers!  I love them in all colors, but my most favorite color is the deep, deep red...<sigh>.  Gorgeous.  I do like this light peachy pink variety that Mom got me.  Thanks, Madre!


Finally, if you're a long-time reader, and by long-time I mean "all 12 days this blog has been in existence," you may remember from my second post that we have an American Robin nest in one of the Arbor Vitae out front.  I snapped this next picture on Friday, May 27th; two of the babies hatched that afternoon.


Wanting to give Momma Robin, or Mobbin as I've been calling her, a few stress-free days, I didn't take another picture until this evening.  You'll see three faces and the back of the head of the fourth baby bird.  My goodness they look uncomfortable in this heat.  When I first pulled back on the bush to reveal the nest, the one little baby's head was hanging out over the edge of the nest as if to say, "omg, it's hot!"  Mobbin must have been out eating; she was not on the nest when I went outside and she was nowhere to be seen or heard.  


OK...last picture...the Rhododendrons are in full bloom in the front gardens.  

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it amazing how different the robins look in just a few days. Since ours lived on the front door, I felt obligated to check in on them every day and really enjoyed watching them. They'll stay in the nest for 13 days after they hatch and then fly away on day 14. Enjoy them while you can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've had several bird nests at the house over the past few years. I love watching the babies grow up! My favorites have been the Blue Jays. They are THE MOST AWKWARD juvenile birds I've ever seen...they don't land, they crash. LOL. I'll miss the baby American Robins' departures because I'll be away on business. :(

    ReplyDelete